The news came as the US reached a grim milestone of its own, with the death toll topping 10,000 and the number of cases hitting 347,000.
And it may get worse, yet. New data suggests that the peak of the pandemic — when an alarming 3,130 Americans are predicted to die in a single day — is still 10 days away.
Get the latest developments on the coronavirus straight to your inbox by signing up for our special edition newsletter.
Here’s what else we learned today
New York crisis:
- At least 430,000 people arrived in the US from China since the country declared its coronavirus outbreak on Dec. 31 — including about 40,000 following President Trump’s travel ban, a new report said.
- The country is now beginning to loosen its own restrictions — prompting about 20,000 sightseers to mob a mountain range, over the weekend, forcing authorities to shut it down.
- A single, quick grocery run was enough for a British dad to infect his family, including his baby boy who had to be hospitalized.
- An Iowa teen warned other young people not to underestimate the disease, saying it left him feeling like he’d been “hit by a truck.”
- This guy from Ohio livestreamed a massive party while declaring “We don’t give a f–k about this coronavirus” — and got arrested for flouting social-distancing rules.
- In Texas, cops are hunting for a brazen teen who boasted on Snapchat about spreading the disease.
- In New Jersey, a man held a Pink Floyd cover concert on his suburban lawn — and cops had to show up to disperse the crowd of middle-aged music fans it drew.