Anglican Communion 4 June 2019 – God Alone Can Deliver
The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 4 June 2019 – God Alone Can Deliver
TOPIC: God Alone Can Deliver
READ Psalm 3:1-8 King James Version (KJV)
- Lord , how they have increased who trouble me! Many are they who rise up against me.
- Many are they who say of me, “ There is no help for him in God.” Selah
- But You, O Lord , are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
- I cried to the Lord with my voice, And He heard me from His holy hill. SelahI
- I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustained me.
- I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me all around.
- Arise, O Lord ; Save me, O my God! For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone; You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
- Salvation belongs to the Lord . Your blessing is upon Your people.
The background of this passage is when David hurriedly fled from the insurrection of his son Absalom (2 Samuel 15:13, 14). It was a time of great distress and danger in the life of David. Most of his friends and associates abandoned him and joined the ranks of Absalom (1, 2; 2 Samuel 15:13).
The situation was so bad that many concluded he was beyond God’s help (2 Samuel 16:8). In 2 Samuel 15:30, you see how humiliated David felt as he walked barefooted on the Mount of Olive, facing barrage of insults and curses from the likes of Shimei.
In this state of distress and humiliation, David still trusted God and cried out for His protection. His faith in God, especially in remembrance of how God had delivered him from previous enemies – Goliath and Saul – encouraged him to sleep in peace in spite of the prevailing danger (verses 3, 5, and 6). In the end God granted him victory.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord delivers him from them all – Psalms 34:19.
And they that put their trust in the Lord will never be put to shame – Romans 10:11.
Beloved, it is possible you are currently facing challenges or betrayal from business associates, trusted friends or family members. Be confident that the Lord alone can deliver even in the face of death.
PRAYER: Father deliver me from all my enemies.