The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 27 July 2020 – Messengers Of The Gospel
TOPIC: Messengers Of The Gospel
READ: Matthew 28:16-20 (NKJV)
- Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them.
- When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted.
- And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
- “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
- “teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, [even] to the end of the age.” Amen.
The instructions in our passage today are among the last words of Christ before His ascension into heaven. We all know that the final words of a person at the point of departure are often very weighty, and it’s very important for the hearers to take them seriously. For Jesus, all He had taught, spoken and demonstrated to His disciples while He was with them is to culminate in this movement known to us today as the Great Commission – to make disciples of all nations. To further reiterate how crucial this matter is, St. Luke, writing to Theophilus, also noted the last words of Jesus instructing His disciples thus: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8).
This was the voice the disciples heard, which set them ablaze and caused the spread of the Gospel like wildfire in the Roman world of their time. This was also the same voice the Church Missionary Society (CMS) heard in the 19th century, which inspired them to sacrifice their comforts and security and venture into the then unknown worlds to bring the same Gospel to us. This is the same voice speaking to us today, motivating us to seek to reach out to people far and near. It took the sacrifices of others to bring the gospel to you – the gospel that has saved, delivered and blessed you. What can you do to extend this same Gospel to someone else today?
PRAYER: Lord, make me a messenger of the Gospel to others.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Powered by Best Social Sharing Plugin for WordPress Easy Social Shre Buttons