The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 27 November 2019 – Perilous Times Are Here
TOPIC: Perilous Times Are Here
READ: 2 Timothy 3: 1-9 (NKJV)
- But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come:
- For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
- unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,
- traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
- having a form of godliness but denying its power.
And from such people turn away!
- For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts,
- always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith;
- but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.
From our text, Paul informed Timothy about the moral character of the coming apostates and listed eighteen features of the perilous time (very dangerous times) to come in the last day (verses 1-5).
With all that we see and hear happening in different parts of the world today, it is very clear that we are already in perilous times. We are living in the days when movies, television shows and commercials promote homosexuality, immorality and violence. And such media contents are effectively brainwashing their users, especially the youths.
There was an attempt to remove Christian Religious Studies from the school curriculum in our country, sometime ago. Sodomites and their sympathizers are protesting Churches abroad. Disorderliness and disobedience have taken over the hearts of many people.
All sorts of evil abound because of the love for money, position and power. All these are signs of the perilous times. In order for us not to be swept away in this ill wind of the time, and miss the Second Coming of Christ, we must prepare ourselves daily with the word of God, through diligent searching and self-examination. We should also pray and intensify our commitment to propagating the gospel message until the end of time.
PRAYER: Almighty God, in times like this, perfect and strengthen me to the end in Jesus Name. Amen.