Don’t Just Talk, Communicate! (4) By Pastor Faith Oyedepo
Topic: Don’t Just Talk, Communicate! (4)
I count it a great privilege to share a few thoughts with you today. All along, I’ve talked extensively on communication, its components and ways to enhance it.
This week, even as we round off the teaching for this month, I shall be speaking on “Benefits of Effective Communication!”
The place of understanding is very crucial to establishing a successful family. That is why God’s Word says: Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard (Proverbs 13:15). This truth was, again, emphasized in Proverbs 24:3: Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established.
This connotes that peace, joy, love, and favour can be established on a permanent basis in your family. It also means you can secure your relationship with your household by possessing good understanding.
When you possess good understanding, you will correctly interpret what your spouse or family members say, rather than read negative meanings to every statement and action. Understanding helps you to read between the lines.
Benefits of Effective Communication
The benefits of effective communication include, but are not limited to the following:
- Intimacy: this is never lacking in any home, where there is effective communication. Intimacy, here, is likened to closeness. This is because the more you learn to communicate, the closer you become; and the closer you are, the more difficult it is for the devil to find access into your relationship. It is a clear assertion that when husband and wife stick together, they stay together.
- Friendship: is another benefit of effective communication. Friendship is based on familiarity and emotional attachment. The more you communicate the more familiar you become with each other. This, in turn, gets you attached emotionally to each other. Emotional attachment is what makes you start feeling for each other. My husband has said that when couples stop feeling for each other, danger is at the door.
- Self Awareness: is another benefit of effective communication. This helps you to know yourself better. Your spouse and family members serve as human mirrors that help you locate the “saints on your back”, so a better you can emerge. You are able to discover yourself through your spouse or children only when the communication lines are opened.This helps you to discover and correct certain flaws in your life and character, which may not be obvious to you before.
- Triggers Love and Submission: When communication between husband and wife is effective, it provokes love from the husband and submission from the wife. For instance, when a woman does not obey the instruction of her husband, it may not necessarily be rebellion or trying to be difficult, but could be because she lacks understanding. When the communication strategy is constantly improved upon, it stirs up love. If a man finds it difficult to love his wife, it is a sign that he has difficulty communicating with her. But when the communication lines are open, rather than holding grudges, both of them can freely discuss issues and arrive at favourable conclusions. Personally, I can testify that it is a thing of joy for me to submit to my husband in everything! He doesn’t have to coerce me to; I do so willingly and with ease. It is not because of his titles, but because the communication lines are open. Effective communication keeps compelling his love in my direction and my submission in his. So then, he confidently looks at me and says: “I just love you.”
- Without, first, enjoying a sweet communication with Jesus, it will be impossible to effectively communicate with your spouse and children. That is, effective communication is triggered by a life in Christ. A life in Christ demands confessing your sins and accepting Jesus as your Lord and personal Saviour. To do this, please say this prayer of faith with me: “Dear Lord Jesus, I come to You today acknowledging that I am a sinner who needs Your forgiveness. I believe You died for me and rose again on the third day. Forgive me my sins, wash me with Your Blood and write my name in the Lamb’s Book of life. Thank You Lord for saving me.”
Congratulations, you are now born again! If you prayed this simple prayer of faith with me, you are now a child of God. He loves you and will never leave you. Read your Bible daily, obey God’s Word and seek Christian fellowship (John 14:21).
With this, you are guaranteed all-round rest and peace in Jesus’ Name. Call or write, and share your testimonies with me through [email protected], 07026385437 OR 08141320204.
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstores: Marriage Covenant, Making Marriage Work, Building A Successful Home and Success in Marriage (Co-Authored).